Those of us who live in the Tri-Cities know full well what ‘doing The Crunch” means, and the popular hiking trail is slowly becoming a favourite of fitness pleasure seekers from other neighbouring cities as well, even those living east of the Port Mann Bridge. According to the City of Coquitlam, during the summer the trail sees as many as 50,000 visits per month.
You don’t have to convince us as to why we love our local hiking trail, but Lower Mainland Grouse Grind enthusiasts should know these five reasons we think The Crunch is tops and is certainly worth a visit!
- The Coquitlam Crunch is free! Yes free. You can even park for free and enter the trail at four different crossing streets, letting you choose your circuit.
- The Crunch is more centrally located in the Lower Mainland versus the Grouse Grind in the North Shore.
- The Coquitlam Crunch is open year round! Although winter snow means watching what footwear you use, the Crunch is always open.
- The Crunch is for all fitness levels! There’s no pressure that once you are on the trail, you can’t turn around and head back down. Anyone can. You can leave the trail at any point. You can go at your own pace, and stopping anywhere along the trail will not bother anyone else.
- The Crunch offers a variety of workout options! It’s no wonder it’s a go-to spot for local fitness instructors. With two sets of stairs – and a total of over 890 steps, the Crunch is perfect for those wanting to crush stairs to their heart’s content or offers a bit of both stairs and trail for a longer climb providing more variety because this popular fitness destination is a 2.2 km climb with over 240 metres in elevation change.
If you are a Crunch newbie, welcome to the experience, and if you’re interested in finding something to train for, SAVE the DATE for the 10th annual Coquitlam Crunch Diversity Challenge on Sunday, Sept. 8! This charity event has three categories: the Stair Master; the Make It or Break It 4-hour challenge, or for those wanting to go at their own pace, the Recreational.
We’ll see you at The Crunch!